Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Week 37

37 weeks! Yay! Baby Grayson is now considered full-term, though we'd like him to stay comfy & cozy in my tummy for a few more weeks :-)

This week was our "moment of truth," so to speak. We had our 37 week appointment and ultrasound to determine how our baby boy was positioned. Andy & Mom were both able to attend this appointment, for which I was extremely grateful! I wanted to receive any kind of news about Grayson with them both by my side for support! After waiting for what seemed like an eternity, we were finally called back to the ultrasound room. The moment the tech placed the transducer on my belly, I knew our fate. Spine and sacrum were perfectly positioned near my cervix :-( The tech's words merely sealed the deal, "Well, it looks like you have a breech baby today." I suddenly realized that tears were streaming down my cheeks as I silently looked over to Mom & Andy. I couldn't help it...I wanted so badly to deliver our son naturally, the way God had intended. But I knew then that we were going to have a much different delivery than I had originally imagined. After a couple minutes of silent crying I tried to pull myself together. Our baby was happy and safe, after all! And I would do whatever it would take to get him here safely! At that moment the tech noticed my tears and handed me plenty of tissues, which unfortunately broke my wavering composure. Tears gushed down my cheeks. Then we saw Grayson's little face. His cheeks were chubby and his head boasted mere peach fuzz! My tears stopped and I remembered the big picture: Grayson would be in my arms soon and God was in control. From that moment on, I tried desperately to focus on the happiness of the ultrasound instead of my initial feelings of defeat.

It was such a blessing to see his little face, his long legs, and his big feet! While we were surprised and shocked that he had very, very little hair (after all, I was born with a head-full of black locks), we weren't surprised to learn that he was measuring large! After all, I weighed in at 8lbs12 oz and Andy weighed over 7lbs when he was born pre-term at a month early! So our sweet boy comes by it honestly :-) When the tech informed us that he was measuring around 7lbs9oz, though, we were floored! Already?! That means that at the time of his birth he could weigh anywhere from 8 to 9 1/2 pounds! Crazy, huh?! It looks like we may have a little ball player on our hands :-) It was also fun to see how active he was, squirming hard to evade the ultrasound probe! Midway through the scan, though, when we heard thunder from a distant storm, he quieted down a bit. I couldn't help but smile--I've always loved thunderstorms, so maybe he will, too?! Anyhow, we watched for a few more moments as the tech measured his heart rate (138 bpm--perfect!) and Grayson practiced "breathing." It was so encouraging to see him doing well that I almost, almost, forgot that he was completely breech (head and knees up, bottom down).

After the ultrasound we met with the doctor who joked, "It looks like you're going to experience just about everything with this pregnancy, huh?!" I couldn't help but laugh--she has a way of putting me at ease, a quality that I, too, hope to have as a doc one day. After reviewing the ultrasound, she asked if I was interested in having an external cephalic version, a procedure where the physician attempts to manipulate the baby into a head-down position from outside the womb. I had already anticipated this option and had decided that it was far too risky for my tastes. There are numerous dangers to both mother & baby and I'm just not willing to take those risks. My doctor agreed that this is exactly what she would have suggested, especially considering the size of our baby and my fluid levels (which were normal, but on the low end). And so, it was decided that a c-section would be performed at 39 weeks! Somewhat shocked (and exhausted from crying), we headed home, where Grayson kicked up a storm, reminding his Mommy that he was healthy and safe!

In the days that followed, we informed our closest family members about the c-section date and asked for many, many prayers. After much research and speaking with a couple other c-section Mommy's, I slowly came to terms with the surgery. At the suggestion of a dear friend, Hanna, I created a "C-section Birth Plan" (who knew that even in a c-section situation you could still express your preferences on certain things!), which helped me feel a bit more involved with the whole process. By the end of this week, I was certainly beginning to feel more calm about the situation, but I'd still like to ask for all of your thoughts & prayers. I've never had major surgery, so obviously it's still a bit frightening to me. Please pray that God will protect both Grayson & I as we prepare for his arrival. Our love to you all!

See his little foot?!

See the fuzzy little hair?


How Far Along: 37 weeks 
Total Weight Gain: 29 lbs 
Stretchmarks: Yes, I still see a few tiny ones at the lower part of my abdomen, but I continue to pour on the lotions/creams/oils twice a day! 
Sleep: Not as great lately, considering the 3-5 bathroom trips per night and worrying about the surgery.
Best Moment this Week: Seeing our sweet son's chubby little cheeks and long legs!
Movement: Lots!
Gender: Baby boy 
Labor Signs: None, but I've been having Braxton-Hicks contractions several times a day and an occasional "real" contraction.
Belly Button: In, but barely!
What I Miss: Thinking about natural labor :-(
What I am Looking Forward to:  Meeting our son!
Milestones: According to ultrasound, Grayson weighs in at around 7lbs9oz! While we didn't get a get length estimate, he probably falls between 19 and 21 inches. He's active and ready to meet his parents :-)

  37 Weeks


Til Next Time,
Hugs & Kisses, 
A Southern Sweetheart

No comments:

Post a Comment