Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Shoot & A Shower

The Sunset Shoot

So, as ya'll will remember, this past weekend was chock-full of wedding-related events. First, Darling Fiance' and I had the second portion of our engagement session on Friday evening. Having been creatively rejuvenated, I was beyond excited to style ourselves...and the shoot! First off, I had my make-up applied by the wonderful Nicole of Artistry HD. At first I had told her that I wanted very edgy, dark, high-fashion make-up for the shoot. After showing her my dress, though, we both agreed to go in a more bohemian, hippie-inspired direction with bronze and gold galore. After airbrushing my foundation (which I liken to getting a spray tan), she applied layer upon layer of shimmering golden eye shadow, a hint of peach blush, and "Pink Ice" lip gloss, then topped off the whole look with a gorgeous pair of falsies, which was another new experience for me. In the end, I was thrilled with the result! I looked stylish but not over-done. I was bronzed, but not orange-y. It was, in essence, perfect.

After "putting my face on," I hurried back into town in an attempt to make it to the hair salon. Unfortunately, though, my big hair dreams were not to be realized--I made it back in just enough time to pick up Darling Fiance' and throw in my hot rollers, nothing more!  Thankfully I had planned ahead and pre-loaded all of our props as well as our outfits for the shoot. As we drove out to the vineyard, hot rollers in place, I rushed to put the finishing touches on my lip color. We arrived just as the sun was beginning its evening descent...how perfect! We changed into our photo-shoot attire (Darling Fiance' into dark-washed jeans and a wine-colored button-up, A Southern Sweetheart into a blush-hued flowing maxi-dress, with matching bracelets, earrings, and sandals), and began the fun! Our wonderful photographers shot us through the vines, in the fields, and on the lake dock, all under the warm summer sun. It was great, great fun. The only little set-back occurred just as we were finishing the shoot. Someone (ahem, I have no idea who that might be!) managed to lock the car keys into the trunk just as we were re-loading our props and preparing to leave. Darling Fiance' was, shall we say, a bit exasperated. He attempted to contact AAA courtesy of our photographers' cell phone, only to find out that his membership had recently expired and they would be unable to assist us until he renewed. We had locked our phones into the trunk as well, so we wouldn't be able to contact any local friends to come pick us up. In short, we were up a creek without a paddle. Finally, in a last-ditch effort, Darling Fiance' remembered that the passenger side window gears had recently broken. Wearily, he attempted to push it down, and, finally....success! The window gave way under his unbelievable strength ;-), and before long we were able to unlock the doors and retrieve the keys! Darling Fiance' to the rescue once again! Needless to say, we both slept very well after that little ordeal!

The Personal Shower

The next morning, I woke up around 5:30 a.m. from nothing but sheer excitement! At 2 p.m. that afternoon I'd be celebrating at my personal shower with about 15 of my closest female friends and family members! I was unbelievably anxious to get the day started, and so, it was off to the races for this old gal! I quickly arose, fed Pretty Puppy, and began unloading the car from the previous night's sunset shoot. In came the baskets, the stool, the candles, and last but not least, the star of the show--the cute leather seating chair. I then showered and began the hot roller process yet again! After writing some preliminary thank-you notes to my sister and best gal pals that were organizing the shower, it was time to raid the closet. I quickly narrowed down my dress options to either a cute high-necked white summer frock (a gift from my sister) or a strapless navy eyelet number (a gift from Darling Fiance'). In the end, the white-y won, simply because this was a day for the girls! (And maybe because I had the perfect red necklace & shoes to accessorize it with!) After dressing and accessorizing, I drove over to the clubhouse, where my sister and dearest friends had already decorated and organized the food bar. I was amazed! Sweet Sister had brought gorgeous peonies (my favorite!) & lush irises, among other soft blossoms from my parents' home, to adorn the lake-side room. She had even brought a framed photograph of Darling Fiance' and I to be displayed on the high-boy table! The food looked scrumptious--there was a plate-full of mini-sandwiches, a bowl-full of homemade sausage & velveeta dip, a veggie tray, and my family's famous bridal punch! But perhaps most exciting in the food department was my gorgeous bridal shower cake! Carolyn, our family's special cake maker, had created a Tiffany-blue, present-shaped confection, topped off with a perfect white bow and a fondant diamond ring! It was gorgeous! The yellow cake inside was nothing less than mouth-watering! Carolyn never ceases to amaze me with her unmatched skills!

After noshing on the delicious goodies, I asked everyone to introduce themselves and briefly tell the story of how we met one another. It was so heart-warming to hear my special cousins mention how much I meant to them, to hear my best friends laugh about our funny stories, and to hear Sweet Sister share with the group that I had been her "first child" because of the age difference between us. It was a sentimental, special time for me, and at that moment I felt enveloped in sheer love!

Next, all the guests penned their best marriage advice for Darling Fiance' and I, and then shared their recommendations with the group. Topics ranged from keeping God at the center of our marriage, to making time for date night, to sex (blush!). I vowed to arrange the advice in a nice binder, for Darling Fiance' & I to revisit in the future. After sharing their advice, guests completed an "Ashley Test," which quizzed them on my favorite food, color, restaurant, etc. My best friend, Sabrina, won the test, with Sweet Sister missing just one more. They're both very special to my heart, quiz winner or not!

Finally, I opened gifts, and was shocked with the generosity of my loved ones. I was literally showered with cute night-gowns, sweet-smelling perfumes, and gift cards galore! I can hardly wait to use the massage gift card from Sabrina and to wear the "Just Married" panties from Sweet Sister! Let's just say the honeymoon will be very special thanks to my girls!

As the last shower activity, I called Darling Fiance' over to participate in the grand finale game! We tied a scarf around his eyes and then asked all the guests to line up with their hands stretched outward. Darling Fiance' then felt each hand and attempted to identify which was mine. Thankfully, he was swift in his testing, and without hesitation correctly identified me! I was beyond thrilled & so proud! I guess he knows his lady's hands pretty well after all!

All in all, both the photo shoot and the personal shower were little gems in my weekend! I made new memories with my gals, laughed with Darling Fiance' and realized just a little bit more, that our wedding is just around the corner!

Til Next Time....

Hugs & Kisses,
A Southern Sweetheart



No comments:

Post a Comment